|The History of E.E. Smith High School - educating since 1927
|... education is the instruction of the intellect in the laws of Nature, under which name I include not merely things and their forces, but men and their ways; and the fashioning of the affections and of the will into and earnest and loving desire to move in harmony with those laws... -Thomas Henry Huxley
E.E. Smith Senior High School located in Fayetteville, North Carolina was opened to students in 1927. The school has been housed in four different buildings during its existence. From 1927 to 1929, the building on Orange Street served as the high school. The school was moved to the building on Campbell Avenue in September 1929. At that time, the school was known as the Southside High School. This building was used until 1932. In September 1932, the school was rehoused in the building on Orange Street, remaining there until January, 1940. A new modern edifice was built on Washington Drive in 1941. This building served students until June 1954. In 1954 our current physical facility was erected and made ready for occupancy on September 6. 1954. This building with its beautiful and functional architecture occupies a site of twenty-eight acres.
In 1932 the Fayetteville Grade School Trustees held a special meeting and voted unanimously to name the school in honor of the distinguished educator, clergyman and U.S. Ambassador, Dr. Ezekiel Ezra Smith. A man who left a legacy of unusually fine and constructive work. Hereafter, the school was officially designated E.E. Smith High School, trusting that the standards of the school would always be kept worthy of the name which was bestowed upon it.
Today, the school plant consists of over 50 classrooms, computer labs, Guidance Center, Fowler Media Center/Library, Paul Russell Music and Band Center, D. S. Kelly Gymnasium, and, the Paul Russell Music Center. The D.T. Carter Athletic Field which seats approximately 5.000 persons has a quarter mile track, baseball diamond and six tennis courts. facilities for other field events.
In the words of Mr. C. Reid Ross, former city school superintendent, "The sole justification for this modern school plant is that it be used to provide better educational opportunities for the youth of the community."
To date the school has had nine principals: Benjamin Lay, W.C. Donnell, A. J. Blackburn, E. E. Miller, Dr. W. T. Brown, Dr. John R. Griffin, Jr., Lonnie McAllister, Renee Corders, and the current principal, Clinton Robinson.
In its 83 years, this school has bestowed diplomas on approximately 11.000 graduates. The Alumni roster bears the names of many distinguished citizens of the nation as well as other worthy individuals who daily contribute significantly to a better quality of life in their local communities.
This is not the story of a completed task; rather it should bring before us the responsibility for the vast number of youth whose lives can be enriched by the school's program. While we celebrate the happy completion of 83 years of shaping and molding lives of youth, we must still look forward to the future with its greatest opportunities and responsibilities.